Thursday, February 4, 2016

Are Happy Endings Unrealistic?

I was recently asked about some of my favorite movies, and as I was listing them, I had a realization; none of them had a happy ending. The more I thought about it, none of my all-time favorite stories, whether they be told through movies, television, books, anything, had a truly happy ending. I've thought about why that is, why I seem to have an aversion to having everything wrap up nicely, where everyone gets what they want and go on enjoying life, and I think I've decided: happy endings are unrealistic. They simply do not happen in real life the way they are commonly portrayed.

 My time on this Earth, and my study of the past have confirmed, and reaffirmed one crucial principle: life is not fair. People rarely get what they truly want. And one of my personal favorite sayings (just because it's so fun to say and watch people's reactions); life sucks then you die (I'll address this one later). A lot of this comes from the grand ambitions and plans people create for themselves, for their futures. And that's good. People should strive for the impossible/improbable; it provides a sense of direction, of motivation to push on through unpleasant stuff because it's just a stepping stone on the way to something great. These goals can help us find things we love, things we never thought we'd enjoy. And there's always the chance that we'll succeed, that we actually will get what we want. 

But probably not. As I look at some of the goals I've had (or have), the things I've wanted (or want), the more I'm filled with the thought; "If this works out, that would be awesome. But don't get your hopes up. Still try, still give it your all, but don't be surprised if it doesn't go anywhere." 

In the face of all this gloom, does that mean that "life sucks then you die?" No. There is so much to enjoy out of life. It just comes from the little things, the things we don't plan for, or expect. Things like a good meal, a fun night with friends, all that crap. It's great. It makes the rest of life worth living. My biggest wish is that I could appreciate these little moments more; despite the longshot goals I have, I still hold on to them and focus on them and keep trying to achieve them. I think there's a balance between appreciating life and trying to make it your own, if that makes sense, and I think I'm moving closer to it. I guess a better, modified saying then, would be "life sucks, except when it doesn't, and then you die."

Happy, uplifting post, am I right? (The correct answer is no).

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've wondered about this before, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I think people like happy endings because they are chasing after something they know they will probably never have. Since that's the case, they substitute in where they can. But I suppose that's just a fool's wish, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rings true to me. Stories with unconventional endings really attract me as well.

    ReplyDelete