Monday, January 25, 2016

Why is Quentin Tarantino so Amazing?

I am a huge Quentin Tarantino fan. I will say quite simply that he is one of my favorite directors of all time and has made a hefty portion of my favorite movies. I also don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he is one of the most innovative directors, at least back in the 90's (because Pulp Fiction was so different from anything else). What is it about Tarantino's films that makes them so enjoyable, at least to me, because I know full well that his films are not for everyone?

Primarily for me, it has to be the unique tones so many of his films take: darkly comical, yet at the same time extremely dramatic and tense (this juxtaposition is best displayed in Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds: Reservoir Dogs and especially The Hateful Eight were just dark and depressing while Django Unchained is somewhere between the two camps). A second asset of Tarantino films has to be the characters; some may be simple yet enjoyable cutouts, but most are incredibly complex characters that are difficult to classify as either good or bad. A third aspect, rarely used by other directors even though it makes things so interesting, is non-linear story-telling. The display of plot points out of chronological order allows for a new type of character development, and also encourages the use of multiple viewpoints of events, provided a greater degree of depth and understanding both of the events and of the characters themselves, as the way they view or perceive something can convey a lot of information to the audience. I could go on singing Quentin Tarantino's laurels, but honestly film choice varies so much from individual to individual. If you aren't bothered by excessive swearing and graphic violence, then I recommend giving these movies a try (start with Pulp Fiction).

No comments:

Post a Comment